Earlier today, I was thinking about the push-back from modern medical professionals regarding natural remedies. It is not uncommon for me to talk with someone who tells me that they mentioned their essential oils to a doctor, and the doctor completely shut down the idea of natural remedies.
The problem is, that if a doctor says something… then it must be true, right?!
Sometimes the “reasons” doctors tell us can be funny, so I thought that it would be humorous to put together a list of the reasons why your doctor may explain that your essential oils aren’t a “real” treatment option. I hope that you enjoy the irony of this list!
Top 10 Reasons Why Your Doctor Will Say You’re Crazy For Using Essential Oils
10. Essential oils won’t work… and if it does, the only reason you experience relief is because of the “placebo effect.”
9. But, there’s nothing about essential oils listed in the reference books from my medical school.
8. It’s not possible for essential oils to provide relief so quickly (within 30 seconds), because medications usually take 15-20 minutes before you can feel the effects.
7. The side effects of XYZ drug are rare and millions of people take it across the US, so it’s safe to use. Essential oils haven’t been tested on that many people, so you’d better not risk it.
6. If essential oils haven’t been approved by the FDA, then they’re definitely not a treatment plan to consider!
5. Treating a health concern cannot be as simple as rubbing a few drops of “snake oil” on your body.
4. Plants can’t provide a real treatment option, because they haven’t been chemically developed to treat the problem that you are experiencing.
3. All of those natural remedies are hokey, they never actually work.
2. In my experience, the ONLY way to treat your condition is with XYZ medication, there aren’t any other options available.
1. How can something smell so good and benefit your health at the same time?
I’m glad that my essentials oils smell so pleasant, I would take that smell over the sterile doctors office smell any day!
Luckily, there are a few medical professionals out there who understand and implement an integrative treatment approach by using natural remedies along with modern medicine… but those professionals can be hard to find.
I am grateful to live in a day and age when we can have the option to use natural remedies and/or modern treatment options. Sometimes natural remedies are sufficient, sometimes modern treatments are needed as well… there is a time and a place for each option, and each situation is unique and different.
The fact that we have essential oils in our home for everyday first-aid care brings me a peace of mind and happiness for myself and my family.
I hope that you enjoyed this funny list! If you did, please take a moment to use the social buttons below to share it with friends and family who will get a laugh from it as well.
Fill out the form below to get access to my Free Essential Oils Kick Start Guide, an ebook to teach you more about essential oils, how to use them, and basic substitutions for your medicine cabinet. Additionally, you will receive my essential oils newsletters that are jam-packed with exclusive information and tips to use essential oils.